Obtaining a Forklift Licence14 Apr 2014, by Forklift Training News in
No matter where you live in the United Kingdom, getting a forklift license carries with it a number of attractive benefits. Not only is the process of obtaining this license fairly straightforward, but there are also a number of employment opportunities that you’ll be able to take advantage of.
How To Get Your Forklift License
With forklift licensure requirements in the U.K., there are two things you need to keep in mind:
- Certification is a must to work as a forklift operator in the United Kingdom.
- The demand for forklift operators is huge right now. Once you have your license, you’ll be able to find work in a factory, a retail warehouse/store, a goods yard, a port, an airport, or a haulage depot.
Getting your certificate is not difficult, but it is absolutely essential. Here’s how you can go about making it happen:
- Your journey towards a forklift licence begins by tracking down a training centre. There are a number of viable facilities all across the United Kingdom.
- Look for a training program that has received accreditation through the National Plant Operators Registration Scheme (NPORS) or the Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register (ITSSAR). These are two of the organisations that have been granted approval through the Health and Safety Commission. They have the ability to grant accreditation to a training program.
- The average course lasts anywhere from 1-5 days. If you have never before received any type of forklift training, it’s likely that you will have to take a course that requires five days to complete.
- The program you eventually choose will involve hands-on training with experienced forklift drivers. This will give you a strong foundation of the basic responsibilities that are inherent in forklift operator jobs throughout the U.K.
- In addition to the basic training, you can opt for specialty training in certain additional aspects of forklift usage. It’s entirely your choice to take on specialty training, but keep in mind that specialty training can make it possible to choose from a wider pool of potential jobs. You also have the option to pursue this specialty training later on.
- There are novice, semi-experiences, conversion and refresher courses available.
- Once you have satisfied the forklift training requirements, you’ll have the opportunity to take your licensure test.
- The licensure test consists of a practical portion and a written portion. You are required to pass both tests in order to get your certificate.